Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Broccoli Slaw Salad

It's summer and that means salad for dinner.  Anything that requires no heat from my kitchen stove.  Tonight, besides some Cider Pork Chops with BBQ Dry Rub from Whole Foods we had one of my favorite salads, Broccoli Slaw.  It is tart and crunchy and a perfect compliment to any grilled meat.  It's also very easy to put together so can be done by helpful teenagers.  Here is how I make it:

I put one package of broccoli slaw in a large bowl.
To this I added a can of sliced black olives,
2 cups of broccoli florets (cut into bite size pieces),
chopped white onions (you could also use sliced green onions),
a cup of salted sunflower nuts,
and the crunched up noodles from a package of chicken Ramen noodles (be sure to save the flavor package - you'll use that in a bit).  I put the noodles in a zip lock bag and then give the bag a few whacks with a rolling pin to break it into little pieces.  Be careful not to turn the noodles to dust!
For the dressing, I whisked together 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup sugar and the flavor packet from the Ramen Noodles.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and stir to completely incorporate the dressing.
This salad needs to be eaten the day it's made.  The noodles will get soggy.  I don't like soggy noodles but the boys in my family don't seem to mind!!

"A well made salad must have a certain uniformity; it should make perfect sense for those ingredients to share a bowl."  -Yotam Ottolenghi

No comments:

Post a Comment