Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 24, 2014

A Cozy/Soothing Gift

My sister in law shared this great idea with me yesterday and I couldn't wait to get the supplies to make some of my own.  Do you ever have a sore neck and would like to apply a little heat on it?  Are your feet freezing at night when you get into bed?  I have a project that will work for both.

You'll need flaxseed in bulk.  A food co-op would be a great place to purchase them.  My grocery store also sells them in the organic food section.
This project also uses hand towels.  Longer, wider hand towels work best for larger people or if you're going to use it as a bed warmer.
You'll need two standard pillow cases.  I washed mine before I used them in this project.
Lastly, you'll need some velcro.
The first step is to fold the towel in half lengthwise with right sides together.
Stitch closed the bottom and the side.
Cut a strip of velcro and sew each piece to the open end.

Turn the towels right side out.
Measure and cut the pillow case a little bit smaller than the towel.

Put the right sides together on the pillowcase and sew the end and side edge.
Pour two cups of flax seed into the pillow case "tube".
Stitch this section closed.  My sections were each 6" as my pillow case measured 24".  You can make your sections bigger or smaller and you can add more or less flax seed.  You can also add dried lavender.

Put the filled pillowcase into the sewn towel.
Press closed the velcro ends.  Now it can be heated in the microwave for a few minutes and then used as a bed warmer, a neck relaxer, a "cozy" for a sick child.....whenever a little warmth is necessary.
If you need to clean it, just remove the insert and wash the towel.  (If you try to wash the insert you'll end up with gummy flax seed!)  I very soothing gift!!

"For fast acting relief, try slowing down."  -Lily Tomlin



No comments:

Post a Comment