Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Yoga - A New Favorite Four Letter Word

Every one of us has stress in our life.  How we handle that stress can sometimes affect our health and our relationships.  I'm terrible in dealing with stress.  I've read books, seen a therapist, tried medication, increased my exercise routine, had a glass of wine, ate a bag of chips, texted my sister, called my mom, walked the stairs at work……some constructive and some destructive.  One thing though, that I've found that has begun making a profound change in my life and my dealing with stress and anxiety is yoga.

Every Monday night for two hours, my daughter has pre-professional dance class in a little strip mall in Fridley, MN. Because it is not next door, I usually brought a book and my laptop and curled up on the studio couch while my daughter sang, danced and acted.  That all changed a few weeks ago when a friend of mine, who also happens to teach yoga, invited me to one of her yoga classes that happened to take place right next door to my daughter's dance studio.

I am terrible at yoga poses and I am not flexible in the least and sometimes I sit in a resting position and just breathe.  But I don't feel guilty or bad or embarrassed.  Sometimes this is just what I need after a very long day.  The very definition of yoga is "the cessation of the perturbations of the mind".  My instructor Sheila, gives affirmations with each pose in a low, quiet voice.  The room is dark and the music is relaxing.  I feel that for this one hour, I can be selfish and actually think of nothing - no children, no husband, no work, no car issues, no grocery shopping, no bills, no volunteering……. - nothing but my breathing.  As Sheila says, "Be thankful for being alive.  Think about every breath and only your breath."

If you "google" yoga, you can see all of its' health benefits.  Yoga does great things for the mind and the body.  Not all yoga is alike.  I took a yoga class at the YMCA and ended up herniating a disc in my back because I had an inexperienced instructor who was more interested in showing us how she could fold herself in two rather than promoting the merits of motion and breathing.  If you find the right class and the right instructor, yoga can be an enlightening and a health changing experience.  Mom…..now that your therapy is over, find a yoga class!!!

Here is a link to my friend Sheila's information.  She is a personal trainer as well as a yoga instructor and is one of the sweetest people I know.  afhcoach.com/blog/  If you don't live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, please check for certified yoga instructors in your area.  My 17 year old son is going to start coming with me next week to work on his stretching……I think he could work on breathing too!

"Yoga is the physical, mental and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India with a view to attain a state of permanent peace of mind in order to experience one's true self."  -Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment