Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Painted Nails

What do you do with a little girl who is home sick from school and feels pretty miserable?  You pamper her by doing her nails of course!

My daughter had seen a You Tube video by Bethany Mota on how to paint marble/tie dye your nails and she has been waiting for me to have time to help her.  I watched the video once and then she and I gave it a try.  Here is a link to the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grI-QM32nyM

Here is how we did it:
Step 1 - we painted my daughter's fingernails white.  I used really inexpensive nail polish.  I got it for $.94 at Target.

Step 2 - we choose bright colored nail polish from my daughter's collection.
Step 3 - I put lukewarm water in a little bowl.  We used a bowl that we could either throw away or use again when do this technique again.
Step 4 - my daughter put tape around her nails to keep the polish off of her skin.  This doesn't have to be perfect as you can clean off the excess with a dab of polish remover when the nails are dry.
Step 5 - pour about 3 little drops of polish into the bowl of water.  We used 3 to 5 different colors at one time.
Step 6 - my daughter took a wooden skewer and dragged it through the colors to swirl them together.
Step 7 - this step is a bit awkward.  My daughter had to lay her finger into the polish, being careful not to dip it into the polish.  (Using a larger bowl would have made this step a bit easier.)
When she pulled her finger out, it looked a bit messy and all ten fingers looked like our experiment didn't work!

BUT.......after my daughter took the tape off, they looked a little better.
After cleaning them up with a cue tip and nail polish remover, they looked great!
The last step was to polish them with clean polish to help keep them from chipping.

My daughter loves her new nails and I think the pampering helped her feel a little better.  Now I can't wait to do my own - maybe in some soft colors with a little glitter?

"I don't like plain nails.  I get sad."  -Zooey Deschanel


No comments:

Post a Comment