Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Tasty Sandwich

I've been needing suppers or after school meals that are fast but nutritious.  I dug out this family favorite recipe that I usually make during the summer but I thought it would work well now.  It's a very filling sandwich that goes great with apple slices, carrots and a few salt & vinegar chips.

I started with the bread.  I usually make my own round, white loaf of bread.

Then I chopped about 3/4 cup of black & green olives and put them in a bowl.

To the olives, I added a minced clove of garlic, a small jar of pimentos (chopped), 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of oregano leaves, a tablespoon of chopped parsley, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/3 cup of olive oil.





Then I mixed it well and set it aside.
 When the bread was completely cooled, I cut it in half and hollowed out the "top".

On the bottom half, I layered sliced smoked turkey breast and honey ham.  I've also used roast beef.  Any combination of sandwich meat (equal to 1 pound) will work.

Next I added 1/4 of a pound of sliced cheese.  Any cheese will work.  I used Muenster this time but have used pepper jack and cheddar.  You can also combine multiple cheeses in one sandwich.
Lastly, I added the olive mixture, being careful to spread it out to the edges.

I put on the "top" and wrapped the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.


I did all of this last night so it would be ready for dinner tonight.  I unwrapped it and sliced it into triangles.  

This sandwich was big enough to feed three teenage boys, my husband and me with two slices left for lunch tomorrow!

"Enjoy every sandwich!"  -Warren Zevon




No comments:

Post a Comment