Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Wonton Wrappers as Ravioli

My family loves to eat pasta and I really wish I had the time and the know-how on making it from scratch.  Since I don't, I've found the next best thing.  Wonton wrappers.  I found this recipe in an old Bon Appetit magazine and modified it slightly to fit the ingredients I had on hand.  Here is how I shrimp ravioli with wonton wrappers instead of pasta dough.

I started by peeling and roasting an entire garlic bulb in a bit of olive oil.  To roast the garlic, I peeled the cloves, poured olive oil over the cloves, covered them and roasted them in a 350 degree oven until soft and slightly brown.
While the garlic cloves cooled, I put an egg and a small package of plain goat cheese in a medium sized bowl.


Next, I chopped up the cooled garlic cloves and added them to the goat cheese and egg.

To this mixture, I added a pound of peeled, deveined, cooked and chopped shrimp.  You could also use clams, crab or crawfish.



 Mix well.
Add a teaspoon of this mixture to the center of a wonton wrapper.
Wet the edge of the wonton wrapper and fold to make a triangle.
 Place the folded wontons on a large plate or tray.
Add the wontons in small batches to boiling water.  They will be done when they float to the top.

 Remove from the water and drain well.
The sauce to compliment the ravioli is very simple.  Boil together cream (about 2 cups) and a large shallot.


Cool this mixture slightly and then add to a blender.  Throw in a handful of basil and blend well.  This will turn the sauce a light green.  If you prefer it to remain a cream color, blend the cream and shallots then finely chop the basil and add to the blended cream and shallots.
Reheat this mixture.
Plate the ravioli and pour the sauce over the top.
I got a big "thumbs up" from my family so I will definitely add it to my menu rotation!  Maybe one of these days I'll give "real" pasta a try!

"Not only are pasta dishes delicious, but they are also great, easy options for a quick dinner during a busy weekend."  -Marcus Samuelsson






No comments:

Post a Comment