Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Great Book for Young Readers (Old Ones Too!)

I don't normally like to recommend a book before I've read it but I'm making an exception with this book.  The book is called Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  My book club has selected it as our book for October.  Wherever I am, whatever group of people I am with, and I mention this book, someone has read it.  All who I've come into contact with who've read it, love it.
It's a book for young readers about a boy about to start 5th grade.  Up to this point, he has never been in a mainstream school.  On the Good Reads website the story is described as follows:  "August (Augie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to school - until now.  He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be.  The thing is Augie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face.  But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like him despite appearances?"

It's a story that I think my daughter and I will read together.  I should probably even have my teenager sons read it!  It's a book about kindness and friendship, empathy and hope.  It will make you laugh, cry and appreciate all those you love even more.  I know I can't wait to get started on it!  Let me know if you read it and what you think.  Leave a comment on my blog - especially if you read it with younger readers.  I'd love to hear what young readers think too!

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."  -Audrey Hepburn

1 comment:

  1. I read this book with my 9 yr old son. He saw it at school and wanted to read it. We both really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete