Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Blessing of Friendship

While searching for quotes about friendship, I came upon this one "A true friend never gets in your way unless you are going down."  -Arnold H. Glasow  This was especially poignant for me today. 

I was let go from my job yesterday.  It was a complete shock.  I had no idea.  I worked for a very large Little League Baseball non-profit organization that was struggling a little with finances because of low enrollment and poor fundraising results.  Yesterday, my boss, the president of the league, asked me to meet him in our office at 4pm.  At 4pm sharp, he and another Board member came in the office.  Both said, "Hi" and I started to tell my boss all of the things I needed him to look at.  He stopped me mid-sentence and told me to pack up my personal belongings, take my pictures and whatever else was mine and I was done - that was my last day.  When I asked why he said that he'd rather not get into it and then back tracked and said that the Board had voted and that I wasn't a good fit and they were going to go in another direction.  WOW!!!!   

I worked 60 to 70 hours a week from March until the end of July.  When I tried to take vacation days, I was still on call - taking phone calls and answering emergency emails.  I had to take vacation and leave the country in order to be truly unavailable!  All the while being told, just wait until the off season.  My hours will even out because at the end of August until the beginning of December, I won't have quite as much to do. 

Well, the not having much to do now was true.  My work load drastically dropped off.  HOWEVER, I had one last big project that was required of me.  I was required to tabulated and organize all fastpitch softball coaches' evaluations completed by the parents and the players for each coach at each level.  I spent 11 hours on Thursday and a few hours on Friday making sure it was complete.  Not only in the electronic form, but I know that my boss likes things on paper so I put together a binder for him with labels and page separators.  I was so proud of it.  Turns out it was my last thing to do for him before he let me go.

So yesterday, as I collected my belongings and pictures from my desk, my hands shaking, I kept my cool, calm demeanor. I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing me cry or have some sort of an outburst.  I wanted to keep my dignity.  As my boss held the door open for me as I left, he said that it was a pleasure working with me.  WHAT?????  I was waiting for the punch line.  I was walking and then driving but I felt like I was somewhere else.  This couldn't be happening.  When I called my husband, he thought I was joking but I wasn't laughing.

When I got home, there were lots of tears.  Lots of phone calls.  Lots of emails and texts.  Finally, I asked my husband to take a walk with me.  Bless his heart.  Even though it was almost 100 degrees and very humid, he went with me on a walk around our neighborhood.  I didn't feel like I had my feet under me quite yet.  In fact, as of Sunday night, I've had 2 hours of sleep.  The anxiety comes when my eyes close.  I know it will all get better.  Each hour the pain dulls a little.  It also helps to feel the support of many people around me.    

My neighbor Keri came over to share a drink with me on our front step.  My parents called.  My sister called.  My friend Wendy sent a text.  My friend Amy set up a time text week to get together for a glass of wine.  My friend Betty brought over fresh produce she knew I'd love.  My friend Lisa sent me practical advice and love through Bible verses.  Other friends expressed shock and best wishes through Facebook.  My knitting group gave me hugs, love and words of wisdom.  My friend Angelina called all the way from Atlanta, GA.  My friend Libby helped me laugh.  I can't believe how blessed I am to every single one of these people in my life.  They are there during the best of times and during the most devastating of times.  

It will take a while for me to completely be up on my feet again but I will get up and I will do it surrounded by these people who care for me the most.  And if ever a day comes when they need me, I hope that I can be just as supportive and loving as each one of them were to me.

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends.  I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."  -Jane Austen    

2 comments:

  1. I think it's so crappy for employers to let someone go in that way. I'm so sorry. Thank goodness for friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! Support from my blog readers helps too! :)

      Delete