Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Grandma's Dounts

I have a picture in my kitchen of my grandma making her famous donuts.
I loved to watch her cut out the donuts and flip them on to her thumb while punching out the center.  The finished product tasted yummy too.  My favorite were the donut holes!  While reminiscing about my grandma today, I decided that I would try to make homemade donuts.  So armed with her handwritten recipe,
her heavy duty cast iron pan,
and her rolling pin,
I spent my Sunday afternoon trying to master the art of my grandma donuts.  I mixed together a cup of sour cream,
a cup of sugar,
a cup of buttermilk,
two eggs,
two teaspoons of baking powder,
one teaspoon baking soda,
and one teaspoon of nutmeg.
To this mixture, I added enough flour to make the dough soft but not sticky.
With a generous amount of flour on my counter, I rolled out the dough and had my daughter cut out the donut shapes.

In the cast iron pan, I added a generous amount of cooking oil and put it on the stove top to heat.
To test the temperature of the oil, I carefully dropped in one of the donut holes.
The oil is ready when the dough rises to the surface and the oil starts to sizzle.
I added the dough in batches making sure to be very careful not to splash the hot oil.  It was also important to keep an eye on the donuts and carefully turn them over as they became golden brown.
Once they were completely brown on both sides, I removed the donuts and donut holes and put them on a paper towel lined pan to cool.
After they were cool, my daughter and I rolled some of them in powdered sugar and some in granulated sugar.  Others we left plain.
I think my grandma would be proud!

"We should all have one person who knows how to bless us despite the evidence, Grandmother was that person to me."  -Phyllis Theroux

No comments:

Post a Comment