Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Impromptu Date Night

I thought it would be fun to go out to eat with our children tonight.  One by one they made other plans….my daughter wanted to have a sleepover with a friend, my middle son decided to go snowboarding, and my oldest son decided that tonight was the night he was going to make a big production out of asking his girlfriend to prom.  So, it my husband and I ended up going out for dinner alone.  It turned out to be a perfect evening….just the two of us.

I've written before about the restaurant went to tonight - The Anchor Fish & Chips in NE Minneapolis. My husband took me there for my birthday last October and since then, I've been anxious to go back.  Well, tonight was the night and we were not disappointed.

It's a very small restaurant and they don't take reservations.  They open at 4pm.  We were there a few minutes before 5pm and there was already a wait.  We decided to sit at the bar though so got to sit right away.  The servers are so friendly and the atmosphere is very casual.  It's a neighborhood bar/restaurant.  Prices are great and the food portions are huge.  They also have a take out option but I love watching the chefs on the grill/stove behind the bar and visiting with the other patrons.  I asked the man sitting next to me what he was having….it looked delicious.  He actually offered me a taste!!

My husband ordered their signature fish and chips but I thought I'd try something new.  I had tonight's special - Smoked Haddock Cake on a bed of spinach, walnuts, dried cherries and a shallot vinaigrette with apple slices on the side.  It was sooooooo good.  The haddock cake was light and savory and absolutely delicious!
The Summit Pale Ale wasn't too bad either.
Next time, it will be a family dinner eating affair……I'll insist on it!

"Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."  -Michael Pollan

No comments:

Post a Comment