Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Finger Knit Garland

Today in my knitting group, one of my friends said that she had learned how to finger knit last night.  A little 10 year old girl had taught her and a number of other "older" women.  They had wanted to learn how so they could use the finger knitting to make garlands for their Christmas trees.  I thought it was a fabulous idea so I thought I would share it!

Here are some photos on how to finger knit.  I recommend using bulky yarn.  Finger knitting creates a pretty loosely knit project.  These first five photos show how to weave over and under your fingers, starting with your  pointer finger.  When you get to your pinkie, you go over and under back to your pointer finger.  Repeat this process until you have two loops on each finger in the front (palm side) of your hand.




 These next photos show how starting with your pinkie, you pull the bottom loop up and over your finger.  Repeat this process back to your pointer finger.


This is how it will start to look off the back side of your hand.
As you keep going, give it a little tug to straighten it out and here is what it will look like.
To cast off, take your one loop from the pinkie and pass it over to your ring finger.  Now you have no loops on your pinkie and two on your ring finger.  As in the knitting, pass the bottom loop over the top loop.


Repeat until you've only got a loop on your pointer finger.

Cut the yarn and pass it through the loop and pull tight to knot it.

Here's what it will look like. 
You can use this method to make a Christmas garland (or skinny scarves or belts).  You could stitch on beads or sequins or even use a specialty beaded or sequined yarn with your bulky finger knitting yarn.
OR you could take some bells and a needle and thread......

Stitch the bells to the finger knitting......


And hang it on your front door.  Mine lets me know when my 16 year old gets home on a Friday night!
 There are also many "how to" finger knit on You Tube.  My favorite is:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_9StewAIE  or ask a 10 year old girl.  I'm certain she'll know how!

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."  -Charles Dickens


No comments:

Post a Comment