Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 10, 2012

First Attempt at Making Krumkake

Tonight I thought it would be fun to try to make something my mom always made at Christmas time.  My daughter was excited to help......until we set off the fire alarm.  I called my mom in the midst of the alarm going off, laughing as I asked if she could give me some advice about how to make the perfect krumkake. 

After getting some motherly words of wisdom, I did a "do-over" and actually was successful!  Here's the recipe and how we made them - without setting off the fire alarm!

Beat 3 eggs
Add:   1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix well and put into a pourable container.
Heat the krumkake iron on the stove top.  Once hot, open and pour  on some of the batter.  When you shut the iron, some of the batter will come out the sides.  Use a knife to scrap off excess.
Heat both sides of the iron with the batter inside.
Once the batter starts to turn brown, use a knife or spatula to remove the "pancake" from the iron.  Lay it on a flat surface and roll it onto the krumkake tube.  Be careful doing this step - the iron and "pancake" will be very hot!!!!
Place the krumkake on a flat surface to cool. 
Store in an airtight container.
Not bad for my first attempt!

"Baking cookies is comforting, and cookies are the sweetest little bit of comfort food.  They are very bite-sized and personal."  -Sandra Lee









2 comments:

  1. How long did you let them cool before storing? Mine always end up soft and soggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I let them COMPLETELY cool before I store them in an air tight container. I find if I make them very thin and let them cool completely, they are less likely to become soggy. Hope this helps!

      Delete