Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 10, 2014

A Part of Your Community

I feel really blessed that both my husband and I have great jobs with wonderful benefits and salaries that help us manage our busy family.  When I got laid off last August, I had visions of not being able to provide healthy meals for my growing children.  Many nights I laid awake worrying about about our finances.  My husband and I have always been good at money management so we had an emergency fund that could keep us going for quite a while - barring any unforeseen catastrophe like needing a new transmission in one of our vehicles, a serious accident or illness in us or one of our children, a broken major appliance, and on and on.

I was really lucky to find a job in a matter of a couple of months and get us back on track.  I returned to sleeping at night and on to worrying about other things like figuring out the Northstar/Light Rail train schedule and whether or not to make my co-workers treats for Christmas.  Now, as I wake to face the day, I thank God for all of my blessings and have added special prayers for those who are worrying as I did about providing for their family.

It is with this not so distant memory of being so scared about the future that I am planning on having a date with my husband tomorrow evening.  What?!  Yes, a date but one that will benefit Southern Anoka Community Assistance - a non-profit food shelf and community assistance program.  They provide an emergency food program, clothing and household needs, Christmas toys and dinner distribution, school supplies distribution, and referrals to other aid agencies.  The benefit is called "Hops for Hunger".  Here is a link to the website for all of the details:  finnegans.org/event/hops-for-hunger-ii/

If you are unable to attend this event, please think of other ways you can support your community.  Bring outgrown boots and snowpants to your local elementary school.  Start a food shelf and necessity room at your local high school - Coon Rapids High School and Fridley High School have great supply rooms for in-need teenagers.  Invite an elderly neighbor over for a dinner a week -  I'm sure they'd enjoy the company more than the food.  Set up anonymous grocery drops for a neighbor who is out of work.  Enlist the help of your children.....pass on the idea that there is no shame in needing help but there is great shame in not helping out!

"Research has shown that people who volunteer often live longer."  -Allen Klein 

No comments:

Post a Comment