Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Movie to Inspire Cooking

One of my favorite, more recent movies, is Julie and Julia.  For those of you who haven't seen it or heard about it, here is the synopsis from the back of the movie case:  "A culinary legend provides a frustrated office worker with a new recipe for life in Julie and Julia, the true stories of how Julia Child's life and cookbook inspired fledgling writer Julie Powell to whip up 524 recipes i 365 days and introduce a new generation to the magic of French cooking."  My favorite thing about this movie is the unbridled joy Julia Child has for everything in her life.  She seems like she was just a delightful woman.
I've watched it about a hundred times and this weekend, I watched it with my 11 year old daughter.  She has been bitten by the baking bug and every weekend is in the kitchen mixing up some wonderful treats.  I thought she could appreciate the all of the baking and cooking done by Julia Child and Julie Powell.  She also liked that Julia Child fell in love with Paris, as did my daughter!

I was so inspired by the movie this time, that after we watched it, I ordered Julia Child's first cookbooks :  The Art of French Cooking 1 & 2.  They came from Amazon today!

I've sitting on my couch in front of the fireplace all evening browsing through them.  I can't wait to try Porc Sylvie (Pork Stuffed with Cheese), Mousse A L'Orange (Orange Mousse - a frozen dessert), Clafouti (Cherry Flan), Crepes, and Poulet Saute aux Herbes de Provence (Chicken Sauteed with Herbs and Garlic, Egg Yolk and Butter Sauce) - just to name a few.  I have some willing taste testers as longs as things don't get too weird.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

"Julia taught me what it takes to find your way in the world.  It's not what I thought it was.  I thought it was all about - I don't know, confidence or will or luck.  Those are all some good things to have, no question.  But there's something else, something that these things grow out of.  It's joy."  -Julie Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment