Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Breakfast/After School Snack Burritos

Quite a few of my friends have been making a supply of breakfast burritos so their children have something fast to heat up on those busy mornings.  I thought I would make some too - as before AND after school snacks.  My boys always come home famished and these burritos are something they can heat up in only a few minutes and they are very filling.  My husband also wanted me to make some for him but he requested a few added ingredients.  I think by requesting those ingredients, he knew he was guaranteed to have some - otherwise the boys would eat them all!

This is a super simple recipe and can actually be prepared quite quickly.  There are multiple ways to prepare these burritos.  Lots of recipes have you prepare them in one pan.  I prefer to prepare each ingredient separately and then add them together after they are cooked.  Here are my steps in preparing these great breakfasts/snacks.

These are the ingredients:  tortillas, bacon, pork sausage, cheddar cheese, eggs, red/yellow/orange peppers (optional - requested by my husband),
hash browns,
and onions (also optional and another of my husband's requests).
I started by putting parchment paper on a baking sheet.  I separated the bacon, put it on the baking sheet  and cooked it in a 400 degree oven until crisp.  I find that this cuts down on the mess created when frying bacon on the stove top.

Once the bacon is done, remove it from the oven and place on a plate covered with paper towels to soak up the excess fat.
Then chop the bacon and place it in a large pot.

Next, fry the sausage.  I used pork sausage but you could also use turkey sausage.
When the sausage is completely cooked through, add it to the bacon.
Now for the eggs.......I used 12 eggs.  I broke them into a glass bowl and whisked them with a little milk.  Then I added them to a hot pan, which I had already prepared with 1 Tablespoon of melted butter.

When the eggs are scrambled, gently mix them into the bacon and sausage.

Prepare the hash browns as stated on the package.  I used about 2/3 of the package for my recipe.
When the hash browns are done, they can be added to the egg/sausage/bacon mixture.  Please be gentle when stirring them in or you may end up with mush!

Now for the optional part.......slice the peppers and onions and cook until soft.
Lay out the tortillas on a clean work surface.
Spoon the egg mixture onto each tortilla.  My recipe made 16 burritos - with a generous amount of egg mixture on each tortilla.
Next, add on the peppers and onions if using.
Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese.  

You can roll them up and eat them right away or you can roll them up,
and wrap them in plastic wrap.

They can be placed like this, into the refrigerator or you can place them in freezer bags and freeze them for future use.  I labeled mine so that my husband was sure to get his!
To prepare them, pop them in the microwave and heat in increments of about 40 seconds.  Enjoy!

"I think careful cooking is love, don't you?  The loveliest thing you can cook for someone who's close to you is about as nice a valentine as you can give."  -Julia Child


No comments:

Post a Comment