Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Missing Sock Holder

If you're like me, you probably have a little stack of socks missing their mates.  I was getting tired of having to move my little pile of socks while doing the laundry, so I made something for them that I could hang on the wall.  I've seen similar versions of this on-line.  Here are the basics on how to make a single sock holder.

I started with a piece of plywood about 15" long, 7 1/2" wide and about 1/2" thick.

I gathered my paints and chose a base color - beige with a slight yellow undertone.

I used a foam brush and painted the edges and front of the board.

I gave it two coats, letting it dry throughly in between each coat.
I didn't like the way it looked with just the flat paint so a "roughed it up" a bit by rubbing a medium weight sand paper over the top and edges.


Next I chose a paint color to use for the wording.  I chose a medium brown.
I did the wording by freehand but at this step, you could use a stencil or even stickers.  You could also lightly draw on the letters and paint over what you drew.

I added some free hand flowers, vines and leaves.




The last step is to add the clothespins.  Lay out the clothespins the way you want them on your little sign before gluing them.  Once you have them the way you want them,  just use little dab of super strength glue.  


Continue gluing until you have all of your clothespins.
Once the glue is completely dry, you can add a hanger to the back to secure to the wall, then......
add your socks!!

"We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even it's only picking grapes or sorting the laundry."  -E.B. White

No comments:

Post a Comment