Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Downton Abbey Knits

I am a HUGE Downton Abbey fan.  I can't wait for the new season to start.  I plan on hosting a Downton Abbey Viewing Party where guests come in period attire and I will serve period food.  Any time there's a news article, PBS story, Facebook update or any other Downton Abbey reference, I have to read it or watch it right away.  So, imagine my delight when I got to knitting today and this magazine was on the table.
Within the magazine, there is a great article about the estate where the series is filmed.  It explains who first built the castle and each family who came after.  I also read about the very wealthy American women who married English Lords - not for more wealth but for the prestige.  There are stories about the garments women knit for the troops during World War I - trench gloves, socks for wounded limbs, hot water bottle sleeves and so on.  My favorite article is about the women who took over farming duties while the men went to war.  These brave and proud women supplied food for an entire nation.

Of course, because it's a knitting magazine, there are also many patterns of period clothing and accessories written in present day language and instruction.  I've picked out a few of my favorites.


Wish I had more time to just sit and knit!!!

"I'm a woman, Mary.  I can be as contrary as I choose."  Lady Grantham, the Dowager Countess

No comments:

Post a Comment