Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

It's a Stew Kind of Day

It's stew making season and even though it was a little warm today, I had a desire and craving to make some.  I started by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.  Then, I heated two tablespoons of olive oil in a stock pot on the stove top.
Next I took about 3 pounds of sirloin steak,
and cut it into bite size pieces.
I put a gallon size bag in a bowl.  This helps keep it open and stable while adding in ingredients.  The the bag, I added 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.


Then I added the bite size pieces of meat.
I sealed the bag then gave it a good shake.
I added the meat to the hot oil, being careful to keep them in a single layer.
While the meat was beginning to brown, I cut up a large onion and added it to the pot.

Once the meat was brown and the onions were soft, I added 14 1/2 oz. of beef broth.
I also added 1 cup of red wine (merlot).  Do not substitute red cooking wine for the merlot.  Red wine gives the stew a robust flavor and if you're worried about the alcohol.....don't be.  The alcohol is "cooked off" and you're just left with a really intense flavor.
For more flavor, I added 1/4 cup of bacon bits (real - no imitation),
a bay leaf,
1/4 teaspoon thyme,
and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
I poured in 1/4 cup of water,
and then I cleaned and diced 6 potatoes which I also added to the pot.


I gave the stew a good stir then turned the oven down to 250 degrees and put the stew in then oven.
I let it simmer in the oven for about 3 hours - until the potatoes became soft.
I know this picture doesn't make it look very appetizing, but it was a HUGE hit with my family, especially my boys!

"Stew's so comforting on a rainy day."  -Dodie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment