Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Screen House Update

AAAARRRGGGGG!!!!  Our internet went down last night, just as I was getting ready to do my blog post.  So, today I will be doing two posts to make up for yesterday!

Yesterday's Blog Post:  an update on the Craig's List Screen House.  My husband and I went north yesterday to our 40 acres outside of Bruno, MN to work on the insulation and wiring and we also brought a stack of sheetrock that needed to be unloaded from our truck.

The first thing he needed to do was the wiring near or in the places we were going to insulate.  He added boxes for a ceiling fan and lights in the kitchen and bathroom.  He also wired for a couple of outlets.
We are will be completely "off the grid".  Our little screen house will use only solar power.

The next step that had to be done was to add a fresh air vent.  We plan on have a little wood burning stove and fresh air has to be pulled in from some where.  We didn't want to rely on always having to remember to open a window so my husband made a spot for the air to be vented in from the outside.

Eventually this hole will have tubing that will go from the ceiling, down the wall to a vent.

Next, we started on the insulation.  We needed to get the rafters insulated before we put up the ceiling.  The rest of the ceiling can be easily insulated when the sheetrock is up - the rafters space is so small that  it need to be done first.

My husband had already done the corners on a trip a few weeks ago.
In order to hold the insulation in the rafters, we first had to put up plastic.  The plastic had to be tight and smooth when we stapled it to the roof.


After the plastic was in place, my husband measured and cut the pieces of insulation.  My job was to tuck the insulation into the rafters after getting instructions from my husband.




This was a very hot and itchy job.  I couldn't wait to get home to take a shower!

The last chore of the day was to unload the sheetrock.  That may seem like an easy task but it's a task that requires muscle that I don't really have!  We had to unload 14 sheets of 8 foot long sheetrock and 4 sheets of 12 foot long sheetrock.
My arms are pretty sore today!  The next time we go up to work, we will finish the insulating and start on the sheetrock.  I'm hoping that with a little help from our teenage boys, this little screen house will be completed this fall......or at least ALMOST done.

"Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work."  -Booker T. Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment