Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Yarn Donations

I like to knit.  That's an obvious statement for those of you who are regular readers of my blog.  I've made it my mission to complete all unfinished projects in my bedside and chair side baskets.  The one I'm currently working on is a project I started in the spring.  Here is the pattern.

I am using the Tahki yarn that was suggested to be used in the pattern.  It's a thick/thin yarn that creates a kind of pattern of it's own just by virtue of how it's made.
Here is my progress.  I finished the back and I am over half done with the left front.
My goal is to finish it by my birthday so I can wear it on that day.  That gives me a little less than a month to finish it.  It's also nice to actually complete a project and be mentioned in the All About Yarn weekly update.  Roxanne, who owns All About Yarn, likes to take pictures of finished projects from the knitting groups that meet once a week in her shop.  She creates a weekly update and shares new patterns, yarns and completed projects.  Here is a link to today's update   http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1109101767340-228/sept.+11+export.pdf  My little knit monkey is pictured in this update.

You will also see a little note on this update about donating yarn to the women of Ukraine.  The person who is organizing this yarn gathering, knits with me on Tuesday mornings.  She brings yarn to the women of Ukraine on her mission trips.  They are unable to get much yarn and what they do get is not usually the quality of what we get here so she brings them donated yarn.

This past Tuesday, I was witness to what I believe was a little divine intervention with the yarn donations.  We had all just started knitting our projects while sitting around the knitting table.  We were catching up on what everyone had done over the past week.  Susan, the yarn store clerk, came over to Donna, the woman who does the Ukraine mission work and whispered something in her ear.  They had a little private conversation and then Susan brought a very young woman around the corner to talk with Donna.  When the young woman walked away, Donna was almost in tears.  The young woman's grandmother had just passed away and they were in the process of cleaning out her house.  She had 500 skeins of unused yarn.  The woman was not a knitter herself but thought the yarn shop would know of someone who could use it.  It was meant to be that she came in on the morning that Donna was there.  The woman was thrilled that her grandmother's yarn would be used in the Ukraine - given to women will will greatly appreciate it.

After knitting group that day, I came home and went through my unused yarn.  Although I don't have 500 skeins to donate, I do have a bag full.  If there are any of you out there who are fellow knitters who would like to donate some of your yarn too, either drop it off at All About Yarn in Coon Rapids, MN or you can send me a message through my email at cjbosak@gmail.com and I will arrange a time and place to get it from you.  I want to help send Donna to the Ukraine with baskets overflowing!!!

"It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving."  -Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment