Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Libraries

I have a Kindle that I really like.  It's great that I can be reading multiple books but only have to carry around  my little Kindle.  I'm pretty cheap though so if I can't borrow an e-book from the library but I can get the physical book from the library, I make a trip to the library!

The library is one of my favorite places to go.  I have a friend who also loves the library and she told me once that every time she walks into the library, she says to herself, "This is mine!  This is all mine!"  She thinks of the library as her own personal library - one that she is willing to share with others.  Some of my favorite memories are of visiting the library in my hometown as a small child.  I attended Library School, a sort of preschool, in the basement of the library.  We were allowed to check out books before going home for the day.  Jennie's Hat by Ezra Jack Keats was one of my favorites!  Having two parents who were/are avid readers and frequent visitors to the library AND having a grandpa and an aunt who were both librarians, really influenced my love of reading and the library!

I still like to visit the library and the one closest to my home is the Anoka County Northtown Library.  At this library we can:

borrow books & magazines
borrrow CDs & DVDs
rent DVDs
borrrow e-books
get help on using e-readers
use a computer connected to the internet
see a magicican
watch a puppet show
sit for story time
belong to a book club
pick up tax forms
get help with research
buy books
buy book bags
get great book recommendations from the Children's Librarian
sit in a cozy nook to read
spread papers out on a huge table if working on a research/writing project

In a time where everything around us seems to be digital, I still encourage my children to make the trek to the library.  There's nothing quite like "a book in hand"!  Support your local library!

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."  -Marcus Tullius Cicero

No comments:

Post a Comment