Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 22, 2013

New to Me Deli and Sandwich Shop

I was in a real mood for some comfort food at lunch time today - especially something I didn't have to make.  I've lived in my neighborhood for twenty years and there is one little sandwich shop I have never visited but have heard they have amazing food - just what I wanted today.

The name of the shop is Nelson Cheese & Deli.  Here is a link to their website:  www.nelson-cheese.com.  They have a location by Como Park in St. Paul, MN and one by Northtown Mall in Spring Lake Park, MN.  They've been at the Spring Lake Park location for YEARS and that is about two miles from my house.  I'm so glad I finally made stopped in and checked it out.

When you walk in, all of the sandwiches, salads, soups and their descriptions are listed on a huge chalkboard above the counter, in front of the food preparation area.  A woman takes your order and shouts it out to the sandwich makers.  I had a hot sandwich - Smoky Reuben.  It contained smoked turkey with melted Wisconsin Swiss cheese and sauerkraut, served on pumpernickel bread with Nelson's special thousand island sauce.  I also had a small cup of their homemade clam soup and some salt and vinegar chips.


You can eat in our take out.  I opted to come home and eat.  They also have a number of pre-packaged cheeses and salami and you can get larger salad and soup portions to share.  My meal was really good!  The clam soup was very flavorful and the Smoky Reuben had just the right proportions of meat, cheese, sauerkraut and sauce.  Now that I've been there, I will definitely go back!

"Sandwiches are wonderful.  You don't need a spoon or a plate!"  -Paul Lynde  

No comments:

Post a Comment