Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Birthday Lunch in NE Minneapolis, MN

Today, my dear friend Wendy took me out for lunch as an early birthday gift.  She told me I could choose any place I wanted to go.  I'm always looking to try new places and I especially like quaint little neighborhood coffee shops and cafes.  The place I had originally wanted to go to, Anchor Fish & Chips, in NE Mineapolis, MN is not open for lunch but I didn't find that out until right before we left for lunch.  Wendy insisted that it was still my choice of where to eat lunch so I suggested we just drive to NE Minneapolis and see what we came across.  Wendy was willing to do the driving while I kept an eye out for a place to eat.

It didn't take us long to find the perfect place and it just happened to be on the same street as my original choice.  The cute little place for my birthday lunch was Modern Cafe on 13th Street in NE Minneapolis.

They have a very small menu and at first glance, it appears that it is all homestyle food.  Once we got our orders though, I would say that the meals are homestyle with a gourmet twist.  Here is what Wendy ordered.....pot roast.
It was sliced roast over mashed potatoes with homemade gravy and a horseradish sauce on top.  It was served with roasted vegetables and homemade bread.  It sounds like a lot of food, but the portion size was perfect for lunch.

I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with fries.
It was a sandwich that I ate with a knife and fork.  The bread on the bottom was light and fluffy corn bread.  On the bread was melted taleggio cheese topped with onion jam, arugula and thinly sliced red onion.  The fries were homemade, thinly sliced skin on pototaes.  It was all delicious and so savory.

No meal is really complete without dessert.  Wendy had the creamy and sweet flourless chocolate cake topped with creme fraiche.
I had salted caramel ice cream with creme fraiche and candied peanuts.  It was fabulous!
Here is a link to Modern Cafe's website.  www.moderncafeminneapolis.com  They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It is definitely a place I want to visit again!  Thank you Wendy for a wonderful birthday lunch!

"There will always be ladies who lunch.  Always.  And apparently they live a long time."  -Elaine Stritch

 

2 comments:

  1. I've heard the Modern Cafe is good and have always wanted to go there. Haven't made it yet but still hoping too. Happy early? birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! If you ever need someone to go with you to the Modern Cafe....let me know. The food was so good! :)

    ReplyDelete