Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Night

I was excited to be planning my blog tonight.  I had a spectacular Halloween dinner planned.  It's tradition for me to make a nutritious yet "scary" dinner on Halloween night.  Even though I now have a long commute, I had everything purchased and partially prepared for tonight's dinner.  I wanted my family to know that even though I now had a regular full time job, that some things would stay the same......like our Halloween dinner traditions.

Traffic was horrific on my way home.  There were accidents everywhere.  My husband, who gets home at 3:30pm (on a good day I get home around 5:15pm), was listening to the traffic report as I was headed home and also heard about the multiple accidents.  Knowing that our daughter had a date to go trick-or-treating with our neighbors, my husband made everyone supper BEFORE I got home.  A REGULAR supper.  Imagine my face when I walked through the door 20 minutes late.  I was devastated but how could I be angry.  My husband was only trying to help and it was kind of nice to come home and not have to rush into preparing dinner.  That said, my children we disappointed though.....even my grumpy 14 year old.  So I made them the special drink I had planned.....Sprite with eyeball ice cubes and I gave them dessert......pretzel rods made to look like witches' fingers with melted green chocolate and colorful sprinkles.

I'm sitting here now, trying to let the "mom guilt" go - I wasn't here to make the Halloween dinner that I have made for the last 17 years.  Wow!  Seeing it in writing almost makes it worse.  We're all adjusting and I worried about my children making the transition to me being gone during the day.  I think it's me that is having the hardest time adjusting.  Sure, my children were a little disappointed that I didn't have our special dinner ready but I was here tonight to help with Halloween costumes and rides to a friend's house.  I was here to do their laundry and bake chocolate chip bars.  I'll be here to make sure they're all in bed tonight and will tell them "I love you and I'll see you in the morning".  I guess maybe that is more important than an orange carved as a pumpkin with a chopped fruit salad inside!
"The only love that I really believe in is a mother's love for her children."  -Karl Lagerfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment