Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Leaf Cookies and Acorn Candies

I wanted to do something special for my new supervisor and one of my co-workers who worked very hard last week to train me in on my new position.  So I made them each a little sweet treat.  I blogged about part of this treat last year at this time - the candy acorns.  To these acorn treats, I added oak leaves.  Here's what I did.

I used a standard sugar cookie recipe and rolled out the dough about a 1/4 inch thick.
Then I used my new oak leaf cookie cutters.
I moved the cut out leaves to a cookie sheet.
Next, I took some fall colored sprinkles and pressed them into each leaf.

I baked the cookies as per the recipe and moved the cookies to a wire rack when they were done.
While the cookies cooled, I worked on putting together the acorns.  I gathered my supplies:  Nutter Butter bite size crackers,
Hershey kisses,
mini chocolate chips,
and milk chocolate chips.
I started by putting about 1/3 cup of milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.  I heated them in the microwave until they were melted.

Then I unwrapped the Hershey kisses.
I spread a little of the melted chocolate on one of the Nutter Butter bites, then pressed a Hershey kiss onto the chocolate.

I let them harden on a piece of parchment paper.
I found that one of my wire racks holds these acorns perfectly which makes adding the little stem a bit easier.
I dipped a skewer into the melted chocolate and very carefully dabbed it on the top of the cracker.  I dropped a mini chocolate chip onto the chocolate.

While I waited for the chocolate on the acorns to harder, I made little tags for each gift bag.  I started with white paper and used my computer to type out a sentiment.
I used a brown ink pad to add a little color to the edges.

I attached my little sentiments to colored paper.
Then I took my clear gift bags and added the leaf cookies and acorns.


I tied on my sentiment with colored ribbon and it's ready to give.
These were really fun to put together!

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."  L.M. Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment