Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Easy Egg Dish

When I plan meals for the week, I always ask for input from my family.  Sometimes they have all kinds of suggestions for something they'd like to try or a request for one of their favorite dishes.  Tonight for supper we had my oldest son's requested meal - egg dish.  Served with muffins and fruit, it made for a very filling meal.  I know there are many recipes out there for egg dishes.  This one is very basic and quick to put together and it needs to be made the night before.  You can add other spices, onions, peppers and substitute hashbrowns for the bread.  It's really a no fail dish!

Here's my quick and easy recipe:

I browned 1 pound of pork sausage.  I like to use one that's all natural and a bit spicy.

Next, I cracked 6 eggs into a bowl.

To the eggs, I whisked in 2 cups of milk, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of dry mustard.


I also added a dash of pepper.  I never understood how much a dash, pinch or smidgen was in a recipe until my mom gave me these great little measuring spoons.  Now I know exactly how much to add.
Next, I took 6 slices of white bread and cut them in to small cubes.

These cubes I mixed into the egg mixture.
I added a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the browned sausage.

Once I made sure it was mixed well, I poured it into a 9 1/2" x 11" glass pan, covered it with foil and put it in the refrigerator over night.
Tonight, I put it in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  My oldest was so excited and hungry that he didn't even let me get a picture of it before he dug in!
There's just enough left over for him to have a nice breakfast in the morning!

"I think one of the terrible things today is that people have this deathly fear of food:  fear of eggs, say, or fear of butter.  Most doctors feel that you an have a little bit of everything."  -Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment