Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Uncle Ernie and his Great-Niece

It has been a long day today.  We traveled from my parents' home to Aberdeen, SD for my Uncle Ernie's funeral.  While I was sad for my mom (he was her brother), I was especially sad for my tender hearted daughter.  She was very close to her Uncle Ernie.

A few years ago so worked on a project about World War II.  My Uncle Ernie had fought in the war but didn't speak of it to anyone.....until my daughter asked him about it.  He opened up to her when he wouldn't with anyone else.  After that interview, she continued to stay in touch with him by drawing him pictures, making him special crafts, and writing him letters.  Anytime we were in the area, we stopped to see him.  The picture below was taken at his 90th Birthday party this past summer.  My daughter insisted that she give him a gift and picked out the dolphin especially for him.  He took it with him when he went into hospice.

We were all blessed to have this wonderful man in our lives and I think my daughter has a new special guardian angel!
When we get home tomorrow, I will be making caramels in Uncle Ernie's honor with his special recipe!

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness.  They are a sign of a pure heart."  -Jose N. Harris

2 comments: