Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Finnish Star

For those of you who read my blog everyday, you'll remember this picture.
I found out today that this beautiful star was made by my mom's friend Marilyn Hanson.  She made it for the Scandinavian Food Fair at First English Lutheran Church in Ortonville, MN.  I was so intrigued by how it was made that after I saw it, I started to "google" Finnish Star to see if I could find the directions.  There is a great You Tube video with step by step instructions.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ofEJL23TA 

Tonight after work, I went to Hancock Fabrics and Michael's for supplies to make these stars.  Marilyn told my mom that she made her stars with fabric attached to cardboard with "wonder under".  So at Hancock Fabrics, I purchased fabric and some "wonder under".
At Michael's I got some fun paper (one sided) and some double sided paper.

Tonight I started with the double sided paper.  I cut 6 strips of paper a little less than 1/2" in width and 11" in length.

The fist step is to take two strips and find the center of each.
Glue these two strips together, matching them in the center.

Next, glue two strips vertically on each side of the first vertical strip.  Placement is your own preference but make sure it is equal on both sides.

Pull up the middle piece on the top and slide in a strip and glue in place.  Repeat this step on the bottom.

Turn the strips in front of you as an "X".
Turn the top pieces toward each other and glue the ends.

Repeat this step for all center strips.
Make another of these "stars".
Place these stars on top of each other.
Glue the straight ends to each point.  Strips on top....glue on top.  Strips on the bottom....glue on the bottom.


Here is what it looks like with all of the single strips glued.
Trim the edges.
Here's the finished product.
I knew my daughter would love it so I hung it on her bedroom door as a morning surprise!

"I like the dark.  Without the dark, we'd never see the stars."  -Stephanie Meyer

2 comments: