Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Book Club Christmas Party

When my oldest son was about 2 years old, he's 17 years old now, I belonged to MOMs Club of Moundsview.  We would get together as a group for playdates and field trips about once a week.  It was great to get my son together with other children and being able to be around other adult women was great for me.  As time went on however, me and other women in the group, thought it would be great to get together just as women, without our children.  I suggested that I would like to be part of a book club so I set to work finding a place for us to meet, setting up a place and time and picking the first book.

That was over 15 years ago and I'm still meeting with my book club once a month.  Some of the faces have changed and the day and time has changed over the years but we still meet once a month at our neighborhood Barnes & Noble.  Since its' inception, I have tried to host a Christmas book club at my home.  This year was no exception.  So, this evening, I had my dear book club friends over to my home for food, wine, cider, coffee, laughs and of course, book discussion.

I wanted my guests to feel welcomed from the minute they came up our sidewalk so I made ice luminaries to light up the front of our home.


I also added a candle into my retro lamp turned Christmas decoration and set it outside my front door.  Lights of warm light to greet my guests.
 
Our book for this month was "The Twelve Clues of Christmas" by Rhys Bowen.  I had originally thought that I would serve food and drink in the era of the book.  For those of you who are Downton Abbey fans.....the book was set in the same time period.  I decided instead to keep it simple so here is what I served......cheese, meats, crackers and a sampling of the cookies my daughter and I have made over the last couple of weeks.  (My daughter made the little tent descriptions labeling each kind of meat and cheese.)
I also served a red and white wine (yes, that is snow cooling my white wine) along with hot cider and decaf coffee.
I made just a very simple centerpiece for my table......a tablecloth, table runner, candles and beaded gold garland.
I had a wonderful time entertaining my friends.  It's always spectacular to end the day laughing!  Thank you dear friends for a wonderful evening and of course, a great book discussion!

"What's the point of having a book club if you don't get to eat brownies and drink wine?"  -Jami Attenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment