Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Ornament Tradition

My daughter is in the 6th grade and she sings in a group called Kids from Fridley.  Today they sang at six different locations.  Their last performance location was the Mall of America.

After she sang, she and her friends got to spend a few hours in Nickelodeon Universe in the center of the Mall.  While she was off having fun, I went shopping for Christmas ornaments.  We have a family tradition of giving our children a Christmas ornament each year that somehow represents their personality, something they like to do or a big event that happened the past year.  (My mom takes part in this tradition too and she usually gives my children their ornaments on Thanksgiving Day, before we go to bed.....kind of a "kick off" to the Christmas season now that Thanksgiving is over.)

The ornaments I chose for my children this year were:

a hunter for my oldest son who went pheasant and deer hunting for the first time this year
a snowboarder for my middle son who is at our local snowboard hill every day after school
an Eiffel Tower for my daughter as a remembrance of our trip to Paris

The ornaments my mom chose for my children this year were:

a s'more hunter for my oldest son who has a new passion for pheasant and deer hunting
a baseball snowman for middle son who loves to play centerfield on his baseball team
an owl for my daughter who has an love for anything owl related

While my boys choose to keep their ornaments either tucked away in their own keepsake boxes or on our family Christmas tree, my daughter likes to showcase some of her ornaments on her own dowel tree.  It's actually my dowel tree from when I was a girl and I used it to hang my special ornaments.

Eventually, when my children move away and have Christmas trees of their own, they will have plenty of ornaments to decorate that first home away from home Christmas tree.

"The perfect Christmas tree?  All Christmas trees are perfect!" - Charles N. Barnard

No comments:

Post a Comment