Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Going "Off the Grid"

My husband has been doing some research on his Christmas present.  Because he is impossible to buy for, we all go in on a gift for him that he picks out.  We have been building a screen house/practice cabin on our property up north and we are completely "off the grid" - we have no running water or electricity.  My husband has installed a solar panel that powers lights, outlets, fans, TV, etc.  BUT it doesn't power a regular lamp, fan or TV.  They must be 12 volts only.  Those you can't buy in a "regular" store.  So, for Christmas, my husband wants a few accessories that would work "off the grid".

During his research, he found a great website for "Off Grid Solar Energy Systems & Components".  It's called Sunshine Works.  Here's a link to the website    www.sunshineworks.com  In looking at all of the high tech "off grid" things you can buy, I'm hoping we can turn our home, at least partially, into an "off grid" household too.  (I didn't know there were such things as solar freezers and refrigerators!)  My boys were interested in the solar powered cell phone charging stations.  Even up in the north woods they feel the need to be connected to their friends.  I would just like power to the CD player for my jazz CDs, power to a fan for those really hot summer nights and power to a table lamp so I can read well after everyone else has gone to bed.  My husband wants a TV to watch DVDs (only if it's rainy and cold) and a fan for those hot summer days/nights.  I guess we are set for gift ideas for my husband for Christmas and birthdays for a few years to come!

"It's really kind of cool to have solar panels on your roof."  -Bill Gates 

  




No comments:

Post a Comment