Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Special Step Dad

Being a parent has to be one the most difficult things I've ever done in my life and that includes giving birth naturally with no medication.  Children........warm your heart, test every ounce of your patience, make your blood boil, give you sleepless nights, make your heart swell with pride, make you want to poke sticks in your eyes, make you weep with joy, make you laugh out loud until your stomach hurts, bring frustration, contribute to nervous breakdowns......and every other emotion you can possibly think of.  BUT I wouldn't change the fact that I am a parent for anything in the world. 

Today I witnessed a parent in action who hasn't been a parent for very long.  He has a 10 year old daughter but has only been a parent for a little over a year.  He is my amazing brother-in-law Mike and I am so glad that he is in my sister and niece's life. 

My niece had a dance recital today and one of the dances was a Guy/Girl Dance.  My niece and brother in law danced together in this dance and just thinking about it makes me cry.  The song they danced to was "Cinderella", about a little girl growing up and needing her daddy right through to her marriage.  During the dance, I looked at my sister and saw tears streaming down her face.  I saw love on her face for the man she married and that precious daughter.  So Mike, my blog today is an open thank you letter to you.  Thank you for loving my sister and niece.  For someone who came late to the fatherhood game, you do it better than most who've been there since infancy.  You were truly meant to be a part of their lives.

"Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a step dad."  -Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment