Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Book Recommendations

I love to read but am not one who recommends books to other people.  I have a wide variety of book "likes" and when I really love a book, I worry that if I recommend it to someone, what will I do if they hate it?!  Tonight I'm throwing caution to the wind and am recommending a book I really like.

I'm a big fan of Minnesota author William Kent Krueger, who writes the Cork O'Connor  series of mysteries.  This time however, he has written a book that has nothing to do with Cork O'Connor.  It's still a mystery novel but the setting is southwestern Minnesota in the Minnesota River Valley rather than the North Woods of Minnesota.  The book is called Ordinary Grace
I love the character development in this book right from the start.  It reminds me of growing up in Ortonville, MN.  They swim in a quarry, go to church every Sunday, bring casseroles to people who are sick, go fishing, take bike rides, enjoy piano lessons.....  You become endeared with the characters and then lose one.  While difficult, you still route for those who are left and are immersed in the quest of finding the killer.  I hope that this is one of many different William Kent Krueger books to come.

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."  -Jorge Luis Borges

No comments:

Post a Comment