Powered by Blogger.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Canning "How To" Book by a Minnesota Author

Tomorrow if you're up early, you will catch me at the Minneapolis Farmers' Market.  I'm hoping to do a little canning tomorrow and want to get the freshest produce possible.  I received a great canning book from a friend last year and in the last few days, I've read it from front to back and in between to get some great tips.  The book is called The Fresh Girl's Guide to Easy Canning and Preserving by Ana Micka.
It even comes with DVD for those visual learners like me!
The book is sectioned by hot water bath method
and pressure cooker method.
Each method has a variety of recipes with very easy to follow steps by step instructions.  The book also has a safety section
That goes over things like:  proper sterilizing techniques, which canning method is appropriate for which food based on their pH value, correct temperature for food preservation, tips to make sure your jars seal, and how to properly store your canned foods.

There are also tips on growing a canning garden
a special recipe section with canning recipes from around the world.
It will be this book along with a couple of other canning recipes
that will keep me happily busy in my kitchen tomorrow!  You can bet I'll blog about it tomorrow!

"Home canning is a sure way to avoid corn syrup, industrial oils, additives, and high levels of sodium." -Ana Micka

No comments:

Post a Comment