Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Rhubarb/Raspberry Jam

I got up early this morning to go to the Minneapolis Farmers' Market.  I really wanted to make jam and pickled asparagus and I wanted the freshest ingredients I could get.  There's no place better for fresh and local produce than the Farmers' Market.

After bringing all my goodies home, I set to work making Rhubarb/Raspberry Jam.  This is an extremely simple recipe without having to worry about creating a seal on your jam jars.  It also only requires a few ingredients:  rhubarb,
raspberry pie filling,
a large package of raspberry jello, and white sugar.
Cut 7 cups of rhubarb and put in a large pot.
To the rhubarb, add the raspberry pie filling.
Next, add 4 cups of sugar.
Stir to incorporate all of the ingredients.
Bring this mixture to a boil and keep at a boil for 10 minutes.  The sugar will dissolve and the rhubarb will become soft.
After 10 minutes of boiling, remove from heat and add the raspberry jello.
Stir well!
Have sterilized lids and jars ready.
Fill each jar with the jam.  I leave about 1/4 inch at the top of each jar.
This recipe fills approximately 8 jam jars.
Cover tightly and either refrigerate or freeze.  This jam can be used right away.  I always keep one jar in the refrigerator and replenish it from my "stash" in the freezer.  It makes a great hostess gift with a simple ribbon and jam spoon tied around the top.  It's also a great alternative to peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches and it's delicious drizzled over ice cream.  Enjoy!!

"Jam!  I love my jam.  I've just had a batch of it come through, I've been making it."  Kate Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment