Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Great Chiropractor

My son, who plays baseball, had been in terrible pain for the last two weeks with a sore heel but was reluctant to say anything to us because he was sure we would rush him off to the doctor who would in turn, tell him he had to "rest it" and that would be it for his baseball season.  But this mom is full of surprises.  I talked to one of the other mom's on his baseball team and she said that she had similar pain and going to the doctor didn't seem to help.  What did help though was a trip to the chiropractor.  So.....it got me thinking about a chiropractor.

I admit that I've been skeptical of chiropractors in the past but I've heard of so many success stories from friends about relief from back pain, migraines, tennis elbow and a host of other ailments.  I knew that my son would never go to the doctor, so I suggested maybe we see a chiropractor.

I put a question out on my Facebook page, asking if anyone had a chiropractor recommendation for a teenage athlete.  The first response I got was from a friend of mine who is a chiropractor.  I had totally forgotten that she was a chiropractor and that she worked in an office close to our home.

Dr. Thea Killeen works at Abeler Chiropractic at 600 W. Main Street in Anoka, MN (763-421-3722) and she is fabulous!  She was able to get us in right away.  When we met with her, she greeted my son first and put him totally at ease.  He recognized her from the baseball park and her easy going banter with him made him feel really comfortable.  That's huge when dealing with a teenage boy!

She explained how his joints, muscles and bones all work together.  That was great for a kid who is really smart and into how things work and why they work that way.   I visibly saw my son sigh with relief when she figured out what was wrong and that it didn't include the words "rest it".

So, it turns out that his right leg was almost an inch shorter than his left leg.  The muscles on the right side were so tight they hurt when he tried to stretch them.  The left side he could stretch just fine.  Dr. Thea adjusted his back and his right ankle and then gave him a number of stretching exercises to loosen his tight muscles.  She assured him that he would feel better quickly and the more consistent he was with his exercises, the better.

I watched him at practice tonight and I walked behind him and his buddies after practice - no limping.  When we got in the car I asked him how he felt and he laughed and said, "really good".  The pain/stress in his face is gone.  Just now, two hours later, I asked him how he felt and he said, "good, but it's weird walking".  He has been so out of whack for so long it had changed his gait.

Here is a link to Dr. Thea's website:  www.yourbodyyourfuture.com  She's great with kids and adults alike.  She understands the minds of athletes and if she can put my teenage son at ease, she can put anyone at ease.

"A wise man ought to realize that health is his most valuable possession."  -Hippocrates




No comments:

Post a Comment