Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Good Local Restaurant

I am finally home after two days of watching my son play in a baseball tournament in Champlin, MN.  Although my son's team didn't do as well in the tournament as we had hoped, the evening ended tonight on a very pleasant note.  One of the other families on the team was heading over to a restaurant close to the fields after our last game and invited my son and I to go along.  At first, my son, who was the last out (strike out) in the bottom of the last inning, was in no mood for a celebratory supper.  But, when I told him he could have an old fashioned vanilla malt, he quickly changed his mind.  I had to make an agreement with him too though, that I wouldn't take pictures of my food for my blog!  So, needless to say, I am giving my recommendation for a restaurant with no photos to show!

The restaurant we went to is the 5-8 Bar & Grill on Douglas Drive/109th Avenue in Champlin, MN.  If you are a fan of the juicy lucy, this is the place to go.  They had a very large menu with a variety for all kinds of appetites.  I liked it because the hamburgers were only 1/4 pound - the perfect size.  They were served with fries or fresh carrot strips and homemade coleslaw.  I had a Bleu Cheese Burger.  It was a 1/4 pound burger served with bleu cheese and swiss cheese over the top of the bleu cheese.  Sounds rich but it really wasn't.  It was actually the perfect amount of both cheeses.  I got the carrot slices which were very fresh and flavorful.  I am a huge fan of homemade coleslaw and I was not disappointed.

My son ordered Buffalo Wings (they have a huge selection of boneless wings in lots of flavors).  He said that they had just the right amount of "spice" to them and he liked the ranch sauce that came with the order.  He also got a vanilla shake that came in a tall glass with whipped cream and a cherry on top. The extra was served in the metal mixing container.  There was no need to tell me whether he liked it or not - the empty glass in a matter of minutes told me that he liked it.

This is a small, family friendly restaurant and I liked that the bar had a separate entrance.  The noise level was perfect for conversation and the boys were entertained by the Twins game that was on the four TVs - that made viewing optimal from any table.  Here is the link to their website for more information about their specials, events and menu:   www.5-8club.com/champlin.html  Their prices were very reasonable and it will be a place we can go as a family with out "breaking the bank".

After a good meal and fun with friends, my son left feeling a little better about his strike out.

"It's easy to impress me.  I don't need a fancy party to be happy.  Just good friends, good food, and good laughs.  I'm happy.  I'm satisfied.  I'm content."  -Maria Sharapova


No comments:

Post a Comment