Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Children as Real Photographers

I go everywhere with my camera.  I have uploaded hundreds of thousands of pictures on to my computer and I have a few external hard drives housing the rest.  Part of the "problem" is that I'm not the only one in my family who loves photography.

I have three children who all seem to have an eye for picture taking.  When they were really little, I bought one disposable camera after another and let them snap away.  We would take a walk and they'd be in the stroller, happily taking pictures of cracks in the road, squirrels running up trees, leaves in the gutter, their feet, the sky......pretty much anything and almost all was out of focus.  None of us cared.  I bought them each a photo album where they kept every single one of these priceless photographs!

Then came the age of digital cameras.  At first, they shared a camera with my husband and me.  It was fun to instantly see what they saw.  Here are some examples of those early photographs:

Daddy

A sweet Mother's Day sentiment

A chainsaw Christmas ornament

Daddy and cousin D playing cars

Daddy putting the star on the top of the Christmas tree 

 A Spongebob puzzle

A friend's dog

A bunny in the backyard

It gave me joy to see the every day things through their eyes.  To see what they found interesting and beautiful.  NOW, it still gives me joy as they have each developed into amazing photographers.  Even my 10 year old daughter "sees" things and takes some amazing pictures.  Here are some examples of their recent work:



















I like to think I had something to do with their love of photography and maybe their genes helped give them an artist's eye.  Every day I can't wait to see what pictures they have uploaded to my computer.  Sometimes they surprise me by changing my desktop picture to a photograph they're proud of or they know I would like.  It gives me joy to see what gives them joy!

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera.  You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved."  -Ansel Adams




No comments:

Post a Comment