Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Fence Upcycle

I love to take old things and make them new again.  Not just fix them and use them in the same way they've always been used but repurpose them.  Actually, I come up with the ideas and share the vision with my husband Chris and he always manages to make it turn out better than I could have imagined.

Every day as a child, I walked to school.  I walked the same way every day and passed the same houses every day.  One of those houses had a cute little white picket fence.  I loved that fence.  Many, many, many years later, that picket fence came down and I was so sad about it.  I really wanted a piece of that fence......to preserve a sweet memory from my childhood.  My mom asked the homeowner if she would let us have some of that fence.  Both my dad and my husband Chris thought we were crazy.

My mom used a piece in her little garden.

I used a piece on my daughter's wall.  My husband was concerned about paint chips falling off so he gave the whole thing about 3 coats of varnish.  We added antique door knobs so she could hang things on it and then we hung it on her bedroom wall.

Now I pass by her bedroom every day and have new memories of that white picket fence!

"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us."  -Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment