Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Food Thoughts

I have so many wonderful memories tied to food.  It's not just the memory of some fabulous tasting dish.  It's the smells of the food; the art of creating the meal; the love poured into each and every crumb.

When my children were really little, I asked my grandma to write down her recipes for divinity, fried chicken and donuts.  Three things she made that I absolutely loved and wanted to make for my family.  I tried and failed miserably with all three recipes so I tucked them away and cherished the thought of them.

Then my grandma went to reside in a nursing home.  While cleaning out my grandma's home, my mom took her cast iron pan and tucked it away.  That pan is now mine and I decided to break out the donut recipe.  This time......success!


I want to preserve these recipes in my grandma's handwriting.  One of my mom's friends had a great idea for keeping the recipes safe but on display.  Here is what her design looks like.

I plan on adding something like this to the growing food decor in my kitchen/dining area.  Since we eat here, I thought it would be appropriate to have pictures on display of people eating or making something to eat.  In this first picture, the photo on the left is of my 3 children eating smores.  They are chocolate smeared, gooey, messy kiddos and it is one of my husband's favorite pictures.  The photo on the right is of my grandma making donuts in the infamous cast iron pan.  The other photo is 3 separate pictures of each of my children thoroughly enjoying (from top to bottom) an ice cream cone, a birthday cake and a bowl of spaghetti.


We try to eat together every night and I'm making personal cookbooks for each of my children of their favorite recipes so someday when they go off on their own, they have some special recipes tied to some wonderful memories!

"Ours is a happy home...filled with happy memories."  - alphabet garden


No comments:

Post a Comment