Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mother/Daughter Journal

Now that we're back to our busy schedules, my daughter Hannah and I have a special way of checking in with one another.  When she was 6 years old, we started keeping a journal.  She is now 10 years old and we still make time to write to each other.



She writes a question to me.  I answer it then write a question back to her.  We try to remember to date each entry and try to make it a question that requires more than a one word answer.  So say for instance I asked Hannah a basic question like, "What's your favorite color?"  I would also simply add, "Why is this your favorite?"  We also aren't hard on each other if it takes a while to answer the question.  Sometimes a busy after school schedule along with homework takes precedence and sometimes it's a question that requires some thought before answering.  One of Hannah's most recent questions to me was, "If you could go back in time, what time would you choose and why would you choose that time?"  It took me a week to think about it and answer it!  (In case you're wondering.....I chose my college years.  I would study harder and take more risks like travel to Europe or stay with the family I was a nanny for in New York City - the boyfriend I came home for wasn't worth it!)

Here are some other sample questions from our journal:

What is your favorite shape and what does it remind you of?
 If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
 What is your favorite thing about winter and why?
 If you could spend the whole day with just me, what would we do - ALL DAY?
 If you could decorate your room any way you wanted, what would it look like?
 What do you like to do on a rainy day?
 Where do you want to live when you grow up?

I've really, really enjoyed keeping this journal and I think if you asked Hannah, she'd say she likes it too.  I've learned a lot about her and it has started a lot of other conversations - how she thinks about the things going on around her.  I hope we can keep up the tradition into the many years to come - even through those teenage years!

"Children must be taught how to think, not what to think."  Margaret Mead



No comments:

Post a Comment