Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Favorite Hometown Tradition

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong generation.  Other times I think I just live in the wrong community.  My kids just think I'm "old fashioned".  I love church bazaars and my favorite is in my hometown of Ortonville, MN, in the church I grew up in - First English Lutheran Church.  (I grew up around some amazing and talented women!)
My mom, daughter and I attended this wonderfully quaint affair - it has become somewhat of a tradition.
We were welcomed at the door with a program and the main part of the church was decorated for the occasion.


Guests take a seat in the main part of the church and partake in a short program.  Today we listened to "Just A Little Lefse" sung by the Silly Scandanavian Singers.
Then Sandy Hanson spoke about her children's books.  (They are great resources for Sunday School teachers.)  Here's a link to her website:  https://www.camelstory.com/.  My daughter loved her puppet of the camel Xavier.
We were dismissed into the Food Fair by row.  The hallways and bulletin boards were all decorated with a festive Scandanavian and Christmas theme.







 This one was done by my mom.
After taking in all of the decorations, it was time to peruse the Craft Room......

 The Lefse Room......
The Scandanavian Goodies Room......

The Pantry......


The Dishtowel Room......


My Mom's handiwork - embroidered dishtowels and knit dishcloths......

And lastly, the Lunch Room......

My Scandanavian lunch plate and my daughter and Mom enjoying theirs......
My daugther looks forward to coming to the Food Fair almost as much as I do.  Maybe we can find one closer to home to visit but not on the same weekend as this one!  Can't wait to come again next year!

"It's not necessary to go far and wide.  I mean, you can really find exciting and inspiring things within your hometown."  -Daryl Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment