Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Remote Tree Waterer

My husband is always coming up with "improvements" on things we use around the house.  The "improvements" are usually modifications that make whatever it is better - usually.  This is one of those cases where his modifications worked out great. 

A number of years ago, I got very frustrated with watering our Christmas tree.  I got tired of crawling underneath it and getting needles stick in my hair and clothes.  I bought a watering can with a long spout but I still couldn't reach the water reservoir.  Chris came up with a new watering system for me and I have loved it since the first time I used it. 

Here are the details in making Chris' Remote Tree Waterer:

It uses a small bucket.
Drill a hole close to the bottom of the bucket and insert a brass hose barb.  Seal the barb in the bucket with silicone. 
Draw a line in the bucket as the maximum limit for the water.  This will take some trial and error to make sure the water you're putting into the bucket doesn't overflow the tree stand.
Drill a hole into the tree stand water reservoir and solder in another brass hose barb.  Use flexible tubing to fit over the barb in the water reservoir and in the bucket.

Move the bucket out from the tree.  You can make the hose as long as you want.  My husband made mine so I can water the tree without even touching one needle!  I camouflage the bucket by putting it towards the back of the tree and putting presents around it.
Kiss your brain Chris!  This is one modification I love!

"Necessity...the mother of invention."  -Plato





No comments:

Post a Comment