Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas Ornament Tradition

My mom started a post Thanksgiving tradition a long, long, long time ago.  After all of the dishes are done and put away and Thanksgiving Day has turned into Thanksgiving Evening, my mom takes out Christmas coloring books, little Christmas art projects and she gives a gift to each of us to get us into the spirit of the season.

The gifts are Christmas ornaments and they always reflect something about our personality or something with which we are interested.  This year was no exception. 

My daughter received a saxophone.  She plays the saxophone for 5th grade band and loves it!
My middle son received Elmo on a snowboard.  Saying he's big into snowboarding is an understatement!
My oldest son received a camera.  He's turning into a fabulous photographer!
My husband received a mini tool box.  He is the best handyman I know!
I received a reindeer painted by my mom's good friend Daneen.  My mom knows how much I love handmade gifts - especially when they come from someone I know!
To keep the ornaments safe year after year, I use apple boxes as storage.  I labeled each one with their names.
 And then keep all of their ornaments in their respective boxes.
This is a tradition that started when my sister and I were little and has continued now that we each have children.  Some day when my children leave home, they will be able to take their boxes of ornaments with them and decorate Christmas trees in their own homes.

"Christmas...is not an external event at all, but a piece of one's home that one carries in one's heart."  -Freya Stark







No comments:

Post a Comment