Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Countdown to Christmas Wall Hanging

One of my children's favorite Christmas decorations is our "Countdown to Christmas" wall hanging. 
 My mom made one from a kit when I was really little.  When I got my own home, I wanted one for my family so I used my mom's as a template.  I got some felt, sequins and beads and went to work. 

I outlined the tree with green beads and sequins.
The base I made out of a white piece of felt, a circle of green felt for the wreath and little red beads for the berries.
The pockets are just strips of red felt that I sewed on horizontally and then I glued on numbers cut from white felt.
Each pocket (one for each day in December - to Christmas Eve) has a felt "ornament".  All of them are different - each embellished in a different way with beads and sequins.



The ornament for the 24th day of December is a star that goes on the top of the tree.  
The calendar is held up by a dowl stitched into a pocket.  I used a decorative gold trim as the hanger with a red bead glued on the end to hold it in place.
My children no longer fight over who puts up the ornaments.  It now falls to the one who gets up first in the morning.  Sometimes that's even me!  I plan on making three more of these.  One for each of my children to share with their families one day.

"Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home!"  -Charles Dickens





No comments:

Post a Comment