Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Ugly Lamp Upcycle

What to do with a lamp that has served its' time and no longer fits with the style of your house.....my cousin gave me a great idea in how to turn a lamp into a beautiful Christmas decoration.

First you need a lamp.  Mine is approximately 36" tall.
Take out all of the electrical parts.  I had my 16 year old son help with this part.


I bought a wreath, gold pinecones and red bulbs from Michael's.

I added them to the wreath.  The bulbs were prepackaged with wires attached so I just "twisted" them on to the wreath.

The pinecones I added by using a glue gun.  I bunched them in groups of three as well.

I cut a piece of cardboard to go where the lightbulb used to be.  This will be the base for my candle.
The candles I chose are LED flickering tea lights.  They have an on/off switch at the base and because they "flicker", they really look like a real candle.
The candle fits perfectly on the cardboard base.
Next I took some green florist wire and a wire cutter.
I strung the wire through the wreath and attached it to the screws that hold on the glass element of the lamp.  I have three screws on the lamp so the wreath is held securely by three wires.

Here is the finished product. 
I wish I had a picture that showed how great it looks in low light.  I was going to put it outside by our front door but my family wanted to be able to see it so instead, it's in our family room - where we spend the most time!

"Christmas isn't a season.  It's a feeling."  -Edna Ferber









No comments:

Post a Comment