Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cup Cozy Pattern

I have been feverishly working on a special project for a special friend.  This friend is getting married in March and she asked me to make a gifts for her bridesmaids.  The gifts are to be knit cup cozies.  She wanted the yarn color to match her bridesmaid dresses.  She also had a picture of what she would like them to look like. 

I set to work scouring the internet looking for free cup cozy patterns.  I also asked Roxanne, a friend and owner of the local yarn shop, All About Yarn, if she had any advice.  Her response took me by surprise.  She said that she was certain I could come up with my own pattern.  I guess I never thought that I was an accomplished enough knitter to come up with this kind of a pattern but with her encouragement, I thought I'd give it a try.  So, armed with a few knitting books and pattern sheets for stitch ideas, I set to work creating my own cup cozy design.

Here is what they look like. 
 They aren't completely finished as I will be crocheting the edges to give them a more finished look.  I will also be stitching them together and will be adding a knit yellow flower.  (I will post pictures when they are COMPLETELY finished.)

Here is the pattern I developed:

Using a size 8 needle and worsted yarn, cast on 22 stitches.  Repeat the following 8 rows 8 times.
Row 1, 3, 5, & 7:  K1, P1, K1, P1, P2, K10, P2, K1, P1, K1, P1
Rows 2, 4, 6 & 8:  K1, P1, K1, P1, K2, P10, K2, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 3:  P1, K1, P1, K1, P2, slip 5 stitches to double point needle and hold in front, K5, K5 from double point needle, P2, P1, K1, P1, K1
Cast off.  Block.  Whip stitch short edges together.  Add buttons or other embellishments as you desire.

Hopefully I'll have one completely finished to share tomorrow!

"Creativity makes a leap, then takes a look to see where it is."  -Mason Cooley

No comments:

Post a Comment