Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Knitted Birthday Cowl

One of my very best friends has a birthday coming soon.  She and I stopped giving each other gifts a while ago and just exchange cards or special notes.  This year though, I wanted to give her something because she has done so much for me.  She is always willing to pick up or drop off my daughter; she has playdates with her daughter and my daughter when she knows my schedule would have my daughter home alone; she gives advice on raising a teenager only when asked; she has me over for a glass of wine just to "catch up".  Life is good with her in it.

So......I stopped at All About Yarn (Coon Rapids, MN) and asked the owner and my friend Roxanne, what she had in the store that I could knit quickly but that would also be unique and a bit luxurious.  She pointed me to the Malabrigo thick/thin yarn.

Roxanne also had a pattern that was perfect for this beautiful yarn.  It was a free pattern and is so simple but creates a very unique looking cowl that showcases the colors in this yarn.  The pattern is as follows:

Cast on 60 stitches on a size 15 20" needle.  Cast on loosely!
Row 1:  Knit
Row 2:  Purl
Row 3:  Knit
Row 4:  Purl
Row 5:  Knit 1, YO twice - repeat to the end of the round
Row 6:  Purl 1, drop yarn overs
Cast off when it is the width that you want.  Cast off loosely!
I'm soaking it right now so I can block it in the morning.  (It took me about 3 hours to finish it.)  I can't wait to give it to her!  Tomorrow we are expecting lots of snow so I have "my chair", set up ready to go with my knitting.  I plan on sitting in this chair and watching the snow fall ALL DAY tomorrow!

"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."  -Elizabeth Zimmerman


No comments:

Post a Comment