Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Easy Long Cowl

Today was a really busy day at work but I did manage to find time to start a new knitting project.  This project would be a great first project for those beginning knitters who want to learn to knit in the round.

The yarn I used was light weight alpaca.  My mom, I mean, Santa, gave me a skein of it in my stocking.  It's a special skein as it came from alpaca that a high school classmate raises.  I wanted a pattern that showcased the yarn.  I thought a cowl I could wrap a few times around my neck or would wear long would be perfect.  So this is the pattern I used.

Using a size 8, 24 inch circular needle, cast on 200 stitches.  When casting on such a large number of stitches, use place markers after casting on 50 stitches, 100 stitches and 150 stitches.  Use the place markers so you don't have to count and recount so many stitches.  Row 1, purl all stitches without joining.  This foundation row helps keep the yarn from twisting when you join in the round.  Row 2, knit all stitches but this time join in the round.  Row 3, purl all stitches.  Row 4, knit all stitches.  Repeat this pattern until you have a few yards of yarn left.  Cast off.  Block and then it's ready to wear.

I didn't get very far today but I thought I'd share what it looks like.
"No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines.  I do love knitting patterns."  -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter



No comments:

Post a Comment