Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Salsa Recipe

We are having a small get together tomorrow night for the Super Bowl.  Anyone who knows me knows that I love get togethers and parties, especially planning the menu.  I am doing a Mexican theme with Spicy Shrimp, Papaya Salsa and Chips, Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos, and Tortilla Roll Ups as appetizers.  For dinner, we are having a Taco Bar (with homemade salsa and guacamole) and Santa Fe Coleslaw (very spicy).  I bought Mexican soda for the kiddos and there will be Mexican beer and Sangria for the adults.

I put the salsas together today to let the flavors marinate.  Here is my salsa recipe that is super simple and you can add and subtract ingredients all based on your taste. 

First thing you need to do is chop up one half of a red pepper.






Add a bit of chopped onion.


Clean and chop up some celery.  Be sure to use the very inner stalks - the tender small ones.  Add the leaves too for extra flavor.





Use a garlic press and add two cloves of garlic.  If you don't have a press, finely chop the garlic.


Add the juice of one lime.






Chop up some Roma tomatoes - discarding the seeds and center membranes.  I use approximately 5 large Roma tomatoes. 



Sprinkle on a pinch of chili powder and pepper.






Salt to taste.





Chop up some cilantro.  I go by taste as to how much I add - usually around 1/4 cup.  I use my mother in law's old nut grinder.  It chops any herb the perfect size and it saves my fingers from slicing tiny leaves.



Give it all a good stir and there you have it!  (Tomorrow before I serve it, I will give it a big stir and then strain off the excess juice)




"I am thankful for the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends."  -Nancie J. Carmody

No comments:

Post a Comment